Legal Question in Criminal Law in New Jersey

Harassment charges being file against me

A women filed harassment charges on me because I emailed,text messaged,and called her cellphone, the police gave me a charge number of ( N.J.S 2C:33-4A ) against me and I am summoned to the juristiction of this court to appear. The only reason I did this is because she would lay on the horn everytime she passed my house and she did it for 7 months now, i got tired of it and found her phone number and email address and told her to stop, she wouldnt stop so I played about 20 minutes of music on her voicemail and sent her vulgar text messages also all because this person who i wanted to stop layin on the horn wouldnt stop, now she filed harassment charges on me what do i do??

Should i have a lawyer with me when i plead guilty or not guilty, i think i made a mistake because i spoke with the officers about the situation witout a lawyer not sure what to do will i go to jail for this crime??? they filed it as a petty disorderly persons offense.

Asked on 1/24/04, 6:04 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Rosenberg Stark & Stark

Re: Harassment charges being file against me

The actions you described may not constitute harassment under New Jersey Law if your communication had a legitimate purpose. You should request this matter go to community dispute resolution panel if they have one. If you can not resolve it there, you should consult an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 1/26/04, 10:10 am

Daniel B. Kelley Kelley Law Offices, L.L.C.

Re: Harassment charges being file against me

I think it is unlikely you would be sentenced to jail based on these facts only. Nevertheless, since jail is a possibility and these are formal charges, you may want to consult an attorney to help you decide whether a plea-bargain is a good option. Under the right facts, you may decide to let the charges be tried and not enter a plea-bargain. Ultimately, however, the decision on whether to hire a lawyer is a personal one that must be made in consideration of your financial situation and how serious the matter is to you.

You can read more about NJ Municipal Court at my website by cutting and pasting the following:

I also offer free phone/e-mail consultations on your matter if it is located in a Court that is in the Trenton area or South of there. If so, feel free to contact me at your convenience to discuss further.


Daniel B. Kelley


Read more
Answered on 1/26/04, 12:42 pm
Savyon Grant Law Office of Savy Grant

Re: Harassment charges being file against me

You are looking at a possible criminal offense on your record. You should immediately find a good criminal defense attorney to represent you. After all of the facts are reviewed, you may want to file a counter claim against her.

You are welcome to call my office for a free phone consultation at 201-646-9600. Savy Grant

Read more
Answered on 1/24/04, 6:32 pm
Gary Moore Gary Moore Attorney At Law

Re: Harassment charges being file against me

It seems that you harassed her. It seems that she harassed you first. You should file a harassment charge against her. Once your charge is filed either both charges will be dismissed by the two of you or you will have a trial and you will both be found guilty. I think she will see the light and you will both withdraw the charges.

Gary Moore, Esquire

Hackensack, New Jersey

800 273 7933

Read more
Answered on 1/24/04, 8:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New Jersey