Legal Question in Criminal Law in New Jersey

Hi, recently I was arrested basically for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I had slept over someone's house where my boyfriend was staying with his friend. There were illegal controlled substances inside the house. I heard someone knocking at the door, and I saw bags of something that looked like drugs, so I stuffed them in my pocket, just because I didn't want trouble for the person that owned the house, plus out of respect for who could have been at the door I just didn't want them to see drugs lying out. I myself DO NOT USE ANYTHING. My urine is probably 100% clean. And I have a squeaky clean record. I've never even gotten a speeding ticket. Turns out, on the other end of the door were police. I was thrown against the wall and my purse was searched, and nothing was found. I reached into my pocket and handed the police the bags of drugs. I told them that it wasn't mine, and that I'd found it and picked it up when I heard the door just because I didn't want trouble. After running my name, record, etc they saw I have no record for anything and just by looking at me they could tell I've never done an illegal substance in my life. I'm a young adult female nursing student as well, and after I told them that they felt bad, and seemed like they genuinely wanted to get me out of it. They even said they basically know none of it was on me and I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I ended up getting a summons for third degree drug possession, paraphernalia possession, and disorderly persons I believe as well as everyone else who was in the house. Everyone says that for me it'll probably be thrown out and I won't even have to go to court but I was still arrested and fingerprinted and all that. So what do I do? Will I honestly get into a lot of trouble? How do I get this OFF my record?

Asked on 7/23/13, 12:48 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

You should get a lawyer ASAP. Call me to discuss at 732/773/2768

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 12:59 pm

Ronald Aronds Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC

You are facing VERY serious charges.Please hire a lawyer immediately. Feel free to contact my office to discuss your case in more detail. Thank you.

Sincerely yours, -Ronald Aronds, Esq.- (908) 272-0111

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 4:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New Jersey