Legal Question in DUI Law in New Jersey

I was on my way home, after celebrating my birthday and had a minor car accident. a cab that had come by had offered to call

police. when they arrived and I tried to explain what happened.

I was not in car when police arrived and there were no witness.

I was made to take sobriety test, which I failed cause I have a knee injury acl tear. I was clearly upset and shaken up from accident. I don't recall being asked to take breathalizer test, at the time I remeber I could barely breath, I was that upset.

I was put in car never read my rights until I was locked in a cell. I was charged with dwi , reckless driving, failure to stay in lane,, and refusal to take breathalyzer.

this is my first time ever dealing with this. Im 49 years old with no record ever of getting in trouble with the law.

what can I expect?? .


Asked on 4/14/13, 9:08 am

5 Answers from Attorneys

Ronald Aronds Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC

If you are found guilty of all the charges you are looking at seven motor vehicle points, loss of your driving privileges for 7 months to one year, fines exceeding $1,000.00, mandatory drunk driving school for a certain period of time, possibly some jail time. I recommend you hire a lawyer right away to help you out of this mess. Please contact my office to discuss your case in more detail. Thank you.

Sincerely yours, -Ronald Aronds, Esq.- (908) 272-0111

Read more
Answered on 4/14/13, 9:48 am

David Polsky Law Offices of David W. Polsky

Hi Dawn

A conviction for a DUI carries a mandatory loss of license among other penalties. Your written response raises several possible defenses that I could discuss with you . Please feel free to call me in my office at (973) 686-9787 for a free consultation


David W. Polsky, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 4/14/13, 11:55 am
Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

There are number of issues with your case. The attorney will have to go over all the discovery and will have to probably hire an expert. Call me anytime to discuss 732/773/2768

Read more
Answered on 4/14/13, 12:12 pm

You should find a lawyer you feel comfortable with who has drunk driving experience and try to avooid the consequences mentioned above.

There is so much you can suffer if you take no action on your behalf........

Call me to talk if you like,


Best wishes,



I practice in NJ and PA (39 plus years in both) and yes, I do care what happens to you!!

Read more
Answered on 4/14/13, 1:14 pm
Gary Moore Gary Moore Attorney At Law

I am a Hackensack criminal lawyer who handles dui cases You should give me a call.

Read more
Answered on 4/15/13, 5:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in New Jersey