Legal Question in Elder Law in New Jersey

My husband has become mentally unresponsive due to a stroke and I have been advised by his doctor that this will be his permanent condition. Since we were unprepared for this, there is no one designated with durable power of attorney. How can I transact financial matters that require his or both of our signatures.

Asked on 11/11/10, 7:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

I am sorry to hear of your husband's stroke and mental unresponsiveness. I can help, however, and the answer is probably to have you or some other member of his family appointed by a Court as his guardian, to handle his affairs, sign off on documents, pay bills, and more.

You may also need some assistance in planning other things as well, such as long term care, finances, and more.

I would need to talk to you about it, get an idea of what it is that needs handling, and then give you some advice. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you.

This is a difficult situation, and I am glad that I am able assist you in handling it.

Robert Davies, Esq. 201-820-3460

My contact information can be obtained from the links below, just click on the Attorney Profile link. Let my secretary know you found me through LawGuru.

Please keep in mind that my response is just a general comment on your question, and not legal advice. Your question and any response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship between you and this law firm. The exact details of your situation and things that you have not mentioned in your question can completely change the answer to your question. You can not rely upon what I have written, because I do not have all of the formation that I need to advise you, I only have the very small amount of information that you put into your question. For me to give you any legal advice, I would need for you to hire me to be your lawyer, and then we would need to discuss this in detail and go over the documents.

To get legal advice that you can rely on and use, please contact me directly. I would be happy to assist you.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/10, 9:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in New Jersey