Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

child emancipation

My x-wife decided to move in with her boyfriend leaving no place for my kids to call home. My son, with my x-wifes blessing decided to quit college and go to work for his girlfriends father. My question is, do I have a reason to take my x-wife to court to end child support? My son says he plans to continue college in a year or so when he is more mature.

Asked on 10/15/02, 8:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Gleaner Robert A. Gleaner, P.C.

Re: child emancipation

As long as your son is not going to school on a substantially full time schedule, he can be deemed emancipated. Also, it is not clear whether or not your son is actually "living" in your ex-wife's household. It appears that you would have grounds to end child support. Keep in mind that this advice is based purely on the little bit of information that you have given to me. There certainly may be other factors that would change my opinion. Further, no one can rely on advice from an attorney who has not been retained. You may want to contact an attorney at this time (either me or someone else) to discuss your matter in more detail. Only then will you be able to rely on the advice. If you call me, [856-546-8010] mention Law Guru and your first one hour consultation will be free. Good luck! Rob Gleaner

Read more
Answered on 10/16/02, 7:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey