Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

Can my ex file for divorce if he owes child support? He currently is behind $5800, he recently paid $284 (137 + 5 for arrears x 2 weeks) which is odd considering the last time he paid was when he filed for a modification to lower his payments. it is set through the courts that if he is defaults two weeks in a row he has a bench warrant for his arrest. I dont know why he has put this amount, my guess would be he was stopped by police (because he has not paid his CS) or he has filed some paperwork (im guessing divorce) so can he file if he is behind? and how can i find out if he filed for divorce or even another modification?

Asked on 2/17/14, 7:10 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

Divorce has nothing to do with arrears. I suggest you speak to an attorney about this. Call me at 732/773/2768 to discuss.

Read more
Answered on 2/17/14, 7:35 am
Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

Yes. And you need a lawyer. Go talk to a smart divorce attorney near you, and take action.

Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you.

I will take the time to answer questions, so you will know what your options are.

This will be a free consultation. After we talk, you can decide what you would like to do.

No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.

Robert Davies, Esq. 201-820-3460

The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

45 Essex Street, Suite 3 West

Hackensack New Jersey 07601

Phone: 201-820-3459

Fax: 201-820-3461

Email: [email protected]



Please keep in mind that my response is just a general comment on your question, and not legal advice. I have answered based upon the law of the State of New Jersey where I practice; the laws in other states may be very different, and may result in very different outcomes. Your question and any response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship between you and this law firm. The exact details of your situation and things that you have not mentioned in your question can completely change the response I gave. You can not rely upon what I have written as legal advice, because I do not have all of the information that I need to advise you, I only have the very small amount of information that you put into your question. To get legal advice that you can rely on and use, please contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 2/18/14, 8:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey