Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

I have been in a relationship with my children's father or 19 years. We have 3 children a 12 year old daughter ,an twin 10year old boys who are autistic. Last week I found out he married someone else about a month go. He has been on his job for 37 years 10 in his current position as police chief. For the past10 years I have only been able to work sporadically because of our sons disability so he has basically supported our every need, now that he has a new wife is their anything I can do to make sure I will be able to take care of my children financially in the event that something happens to him . Before his surprise marriage he told about his com hours which comes to a years salary, his vacation days which also are equal to about a years salary and I claim that money was for our children but don't they lose that right now, don't they lose he right to his pension, can I get all of this in some form of legal document to protect my children

Asked on 7/06/11, 7:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Burnham, Esquire Burnham Law Group, LLC.

The best thing you can do is file an appliction for child support for your children. The amount of child support is based on the income of both parents and is used to determine the proper level of child support. Additionally, certain exception circumstances (like a child's disability) can allow the court to add to the basic amount of child support as an recurring expense.Since you were not married to him, you do not have any rights to his pension. However, you need to get an application filed with the court to make sure your children are supported.

I would be happy to follow up with you. Please email me directly or call my office if you would like to schedule an appointment either in person or by telephone. My contact information is listed in the links below.


You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your situation, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the result for your situation.

Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit should the suggestion be followed with undesirable results.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/11, 9:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey