Legal Question in Insurance Law in New Jersey

Husband involve in accident

husband was involved in auto accident in 2005, driver of other vehicle is suing for $400,000 for injuries although she drove away from accident. Her lawyer is requesting our financial statements and personal information about me. We do not file taxes together in addition we share no accounts. Can they (her attorneys) seize my accounts. Car is not in my name and I was not in the vehicle during the accident. Do they have the right to sue for such amount. Car was insured with full coverage.

Asked on 5/09/09, 3:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kevin Begley Kevin J. Begley - Attorney at Law

Re: Husband involve in accident

You give them crap until they obtain a judgment. Same thing for your husband. You do not give enough information - did they file suit? If they did, get an attorney ASAP, and file an answer. She drove away? How bad could the accident have been if she drove away? You say they sued for $400,000... That makes no sense, as in NJ, unlike some states, you do not sue in this type of situation for an amount, you sue and IF you prevail, you have to either during or after trial, put in your proofs for what your claimed damages are.

Read more
Answered on 5/09/09, 4:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in New Jersey