Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New Jersey

a friend has been living with me in my home in nj for almost 2 years, has never paid any rent or contributed to bills, there is no lease verbal or written. i filed chapter 7 and entered into a deed in lieu with my mortgage co. i have moved into a new place and have cleaned out my house with the exception of his stuff. this process has been going on for more than 6 months now and he has been insisting he will move out. i have never had any reason not to trust him but it looks like he has been playing me for a fool and intends to stay because i have a week to turn over the house now and he hasn't lifted a finger to leave. the electricity is scheduled to shut off on the 1st. i gave him a "notice to quit" 30 days ago. is there anything i can do to force him to move within a week or am i stuck hiring a lawyer and possibly loose my chance for the deed in lieu?

Asked on 8/23/17, 4:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

You may need a lawyer but if you jump on this now, I don't think you will lose your chance here. I also don't think a lawyer will be expensive. Feel free to call me at 1-855-9-JEFLAW to discuss.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/17, 5:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New Jersey