Legal Question in Personal Injury in New Jersey

My son (19 years old at the time) had a car accident that resulted in personal injury to a passenger who was in the car. The car my son was driving was insured in my name. We just received a judgement for a lawsuit against my son and against me for negligence. My insurance company has paid 100k to the injured passenger. If judgement is passed can they seize my assets 401k, wages and my car and what can I do to protect myself. Should I look into filing bankruptcy?

Asked on 7/22/13, 2:49 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

You should consult with a lawyer ASAP. I don't see this happened without you knowing about it. Seems like something went wrong here. Call me at 732/773/2768 to discuss.

Read more
Answered on 7/22/13, 2:50 pm

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

this is a really big problem. really big.

call a lawyer right away. call me. but get a lawyer on this. you have a huge problem.

this should NOT have happened. not at all.

Robert Davies, Esq.

201 820 3460

Read more
Answered on 7/22/13, 3:00 pm
Michael Lindner Lindner Law LLC

Something went wrong here - there is absolutely nothing under this fact pattern that should have resulted in a judgment against you merely because you owned and insured the car - further if your insurance company paid 100K (presumably your policy limits) for the injured person to accept that, then they would have had to sign a release letting you (and your son) off the hook for any judgement or liability. 856-956-5650

Read more
Answered on 7/22/13, 3:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New Jersey