Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New Jersey

How do I disclaim a small portion of an undeveloped lot that was never transferred to me as an alleged inheritance? This lot does not have clear title and was not surveyed. A land speculator demands that I sell my portion to him and has served me with a New Jersey Chancery Court Civil Summons . The amount offered for my alleged portion is less than $1,000.

Asked on 5/16/19, 1:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

If you agree to the sale and the price and have never owned any land adjacent to the land that is to be acquired by the speculator, a quitclaim deed is all that is needed. Let the speculator prepare the deed an check the details before signing. If you have ever had any interest in other land that is adjacent to this land, the problem becomes more complicated because you will have to ensure that you are not transferring something that you own and want to keep. In that case, you will need to require that the speculator get a survey and you should have the survey and other documents reviewed by a lawyer. That will all probably work itself out in the Chancery Division case. I recommend that you get a lawyer for that and ask about recovering your costs.

See also:

Read more
Answered on 5/17/19, 7:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New Jersey