Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New Jersey

I need to get a updated copy of a Surrogate's Short Certificate from Camden County Surrogate Court. It is in Camden New Jersey. I live in Fairfield Iowa. I contacted them by phone & mail, but they won't cooperate. I though that it was public record. I have a POW from the Executor. I used this to settle most of the estate. I was able to sell property, stocks & settle bank accounts, but the Surrogate's office won't honor it. This is a old case 20 yrs. I lost contact with the Executor 20 yrs ago. They were old then may have passed. Can I get this Short Certificate? Maybe a Camden New jersey attorney.

Asked on 2/04/20, 2:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Chester The Law Office of Jonathan S. Chester, Esq., LLC

Your question is somewhat confusing....You indicate that is an old estate and you need a copy of the Executor's Certificate from the Surrogate---

What is the reason you need an Executor's Certificate for a 20 year old estate?

Is the executor dead? if so, a POA or any other document is not going to help you. If the executor is dead [or incompetent, etc.] then a new executor will need to be appointed. Hopefully the Will on file with the Surrogate names a successor Executor. If not, you will need to go to Court to have someone appointed.

Read more
Answered on 2/04/20, 3:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New Jersey