Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

I live in New Mexico and I'm asking on behalf of my boyfriend.

He has sole custody of his son. The mother of the child has been absent from the child's life for a little over 3 years now. The mother is in and out of jail, has a drug problem, has a history of domestic violence and has shown up to court visably high. Mother also has a history of child abuse not only with my boyfriends son but also her other child. The mother just filed papers to modify custody. What can we do to prevent this women from getting any type of custody or visitations?

Asked on 11/15/18, 1:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos

He should file a response to her Motion, stating his reasons for opposing the motion (basically what you just wrote). Go to the hearing and make his case to the judge. Be sure to meet the deadlines in the pleading he got. Hire an attorney if possible. There's no magic here, just keep opposing her and do what the court asks. He can find the form for responding to her motion at He can also go to the courthouse and ask for the self-help desk to get forms.

Recognize that the courts generally prefer to keep the parents in a child's life to some extent, so he may have to accept some level of visitation at least. He can ask the court to limit it to supervised visitation if he is concerned for the safety of the child. She's not likely to get any form of custody if she cannot show that she can provide a safe home environment for the child. He should be prepared to testify to her failure to see the child for three years and to present evidence of her drug abuse or the other problems you cite. This could be personal observations by him or persons he would bring to testify as witnesses, police reports, court records.

Read more
Answered on 11/15/18, 2:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico