Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

Hello! My mother is the guardian and conservator of my five year old niece. A few years ago we filed a lawsuit against a hospital for negligence on my sister(the mother of my niece) who is in a persistent vegetative state and in a local nursing home to receive the care she needs. The lawsuit was filed to ensure my niece and her mother(my sister) would have some compensation for the damage done and hopefully so it won't happen to another family.

About a month ago, the case settled without going to court. A trust was set up for my niece, which is almost complete. The bank handling the trust informed me today that a RN consultant would be calling to schedule a home visitation. The thing is we will be closing on a new house in the next two days. We have boxes around, my sister who is at the nursing home is sick, I have a couple doctor's appointments, and mom works full time. It is just so hectic right now. My question is: is it reasonable for us to ask for the visitation By the RN consultant to postpone the visitation until we get moved into the new house? We should be moved in by next week. With the moving imminent, we have boxes in every room and taking boxes to storage. Do we have the right to ask for the visitation to be postponed? Thank you for your time.

Asked on 1/11/17, 2:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Watson John Watson, Attorney at Law

The short answer is YES that is a reasonable request. Explain the situation (the way you did here) to the visiting RN and ask for a new time that is more convenient for each of you.

Law Guru

Read more
Answered on 2/09/17, 6:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico