Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

I just recently found out I'm being sued for computer work I did in Florida 10 years ago. I was working through my corporation. I had left because I was being harrassed. Can they sue me and not the corporation?

Asked on 4/06/11, 7:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marshall Isaacs Marshall R. Isaacs, Attorney At Law

You may want to obtain more information and then re-submit your question. I doubt anyone is suing you after 10 years. The Statute of Limitations would have expired a long time ago. Is it possible that you are remembering incorrectly and that you actually performed the work more recently, say five or six years ago?

Yes, you can be sued personally. The suit against you might be improper and dismissable but there's nothing stopping the Plaintiff from naming you in the complaint. The Court Clerk's office does not review or pass judgment on the complaints that are filed.

Also, if the lawsuit alleges fraud, Plaintiff may have properly named you in the complaint. Under the right circumstances, fraud is a basis for permitting a plaintiff to "Pierce the Corporate Veil."

Read more
Answered on 4/06/11, 9:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York