Legal Question in Business Law in New York

Smaal Claims Court

I have a small business and issue uniforms to employees. At the end of their employment, they are to return their uniforms in. I have problems getting my uniforms from some of the employees who might resign or are terminated from the company. What is the best method to use forthis collection process and how can I take steps within that method you will recommend to get hold of my uniforms without spending more for the court cost then the value of the uinform cost. Cannot the Department of Labour help in this process. Thanks for your assistance.


Asked on 9/28/98, 6:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Harold M. Weiner Coles & Weiner, P.C.

Re: Small Claims Court

er, why did this question have to be posed to someone who went to law school?

1. Make them buy their own uniforms.

2. If you issue them, do it like gym suits...

make them put a deposit on them. Make the deposit

large enough so that you cover the cost of actual

replacement of the uniform, rather than the retail price. No law against it. DO NOT deduct it

from their salaries.....that would probably be a violation of the wages and hours laws.

Harold M. Weiner

Coles & Weiner, P.C.


Read more
Answered on 12/23/98, 4:14 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in New York