Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New York

I settled a judgement against me in 12/15. I have been unable to get a legal satisfaction of judgement from the firm I settled with. The original filing attorneys went out of business so the secondary firm has not been able to file change of attorney paperwork with the county. It has been over 2 years since I settled this judgement and I still haven't been able to get it removed from the county record. I have talked with the secondary firm many times to no avail. I keep getting the same answer "We are working on it and we will call you back", which they never do. I cannot remortgage or sell my home because every time a search is done this issue blocks it. The county clerk says their hands are tied until they get a SOJ that is legal, which can't be filed until there is a change of attorney paperwork filed. what can I do?

Asked on 2/15/18, 1:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew M. Doktofsky Andrew M. Doktofsky, P.C.

An order to show cause can be filed with the court, requesting an order directing the clerk to show the judgment satisfied.

Read more
Answered on 2/15/18, 1:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New York