Legal Question in Elder Law in New York

House and cars in husband name what are my rights after his death in new York state.

Asked on 9/27/19, 8:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

The car should be easy to transfer into your name, except nothing with DMV is every “easy” in my experience. But go down there with the death certificate and title and they’ll give you the forms to complete and you’ll probably have to go back a few times, but you can get it transferred.

The house is more complicated depending on if your husband had a will and how many children you have and how much is the house worth and how much other assets did your husband have. No easy answer here.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/19, 2:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in New York