Legal Question in Family Law in New York

Child Custody / Sex Offender

My ex-girlfriend is currentl pregnant with my child. I am a registered sex offender and will probably be filing for custody for this child with physical custody going to my mother, as I see the mother would be unfit t take care of my child. I would like to know of any cases or laws that may prevent me from doing such an action. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Asked on 7/29/08, 8:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

jeffrey lazroe Jeffrey A. Lazroe attorney at law

Re: Child Custody / Sex Offender

I don't think that there is any law that would prohibit you from applying for custody of your child. However, the court usually looks to what the best interests of the child in making its determination.

Your mother standing alone would have a better chance of obtaining custody of your child, and would not be hindered by your conviction.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/08, 5:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York