Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I am married to a woman whom I haven't seen in over 18 years. I am an American and a US citizen. She is a Norwegian and resides in Norway. We were married in New York state, and I want to get a divorce & she is willing to go along with it, no strings attached . We have no children, she wants nothing, I want nothing, we only want a divorce, that's it. She is ready, willing and able to sign the divorce papers. The only problem is that she lives in Trondheim, Norway, and the law says she must get the papers signed by a notary from the US embassy or US consulate, and that is all the way in Oslo, Norway, which she has absolutely no way of getting to, being it is on the other side of the country.

My question is: Is there any other way she could just sign the papers and just send them back? Are there any other ways this can be done without her having to go to Oslo? My funds are limited and I cant afford an extravagant lawyer.

Asked on 12/07/12, 4:22 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kristen Browde Browde Law, P.C.

The papers must be notarized by a U.S. Notary. Perhaps there is an attorney in her town that is such a notary, though it is unlikely. Otherwise she can file for divorce in Norway under Norwegian law.

Read more
Answered on 12/07/12, 4:26 am
Leta Liou The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC

Although your wife can not simply sign and mail the papers back, you can still complete an inexpensive uncontested divorce. If your wife can not go to the US Embassy, you can have her served in accordance with international treat (this will not be difficult as it sounds like she will be coooperating with service). Thereafter, you will be able to complete the uncontested divorce without the need for her signature.

An attorney can assist you in this process, which can be completed relatively quickly and without the need for court appearance. Feel free to call me for a free telephone consultation (646) 587-0188.


Leta Liou, Esq.

The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC

124 Nassau Street, Suite 2

New York, New York 10038

(646) 587-0188

Read more
Answered on 12/07/12, 7:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York