Legal Question in Family Law in New York

My son's on/off girlfriend had his baby two months ago. My son's name is on the birth certificate. The mother is very unstable and is using the baby as a weapon. She lives in NY, but he lives in VT. She wants him to take the baby this weekend so she can visit "a friend". She won't tell my son where she is going or with whom she is meeting. If my son takes the baby for the weekend, but then decides not to give him back, is he doing something illegal?

Asked on 11/30/12, 8:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

He's doing something that may torpedo his changes of getting future visitation or shared or full custody. He should seek full custody through the courts, if that's what you wants to do. In the meantime, if the mother is putting the baby's life or well being in danger, he should contact CPS.

Also licensed and practicing in New York (646)543-9529

Read more
Answered on 11/30/12, 10:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York