Legal Question in Family Law in New York

My ex and I have been split up since November of 2014. We have one son together. Since then I started dating someone over a year ago. I recently found out that I was pregnant by my partner. Currently, my ex and I are in a custody battle over our 4 year son. I was informed today that it was requested to have a background check done on my partner (the father of our unborn child) because they say that he will more than likely be in my 4 year old son's life. My partner just went through a background check for a corrections officer job and passed with flying colors so if it is something that needs to be done again thats fine but I want to know if my ex (or anyone for that matter) actually has the right to request this?

Asked on 4/06/17, 10:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Katz Fink & Katz, PLLC

If you are in a Family Court case where custody is in question , a judge can order an investigation of both parents' households.

You really should hire an attorney if you want the most accurate guidance as each case is fact sensitive and so I can only speak in generalities here.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 4/06/17, 10:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York