Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

I am an independent title closer and notary who was given forged powers of attorney in connection with a deed transfer and re-fi. All parties are being sued . The papers were served on my sister at her home. How can I file for an extension and counter sue the forger and notary? I don't think I can afford an attorney. What would it cost to have someone represent me? Thank you.

Asked on 6/03/18, 12:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


Don't understand why title company attorney is not assisting you.

But, service upon your sister at her home, is probably Not good service upon you, unless you live with your sister. Which means Plaintiff will need to ReServe you, getting you more time, to get a lawyer.

However, you must tell court in writing that you Deny the Court Jurisdiction, because you were not Served.

You can go to the Pro Se office at court to request help with your Denial Answer; & to get help, more time & possibly a referral to an affordable attorney. Also, check out law school legal clinics for assistance, for additional help.

Note, that unless Plaintiff is the alleged forger, you would likely be able to "cross claim" rather than "counterclaim".

Please, DO NOT avoid an actual sit-down consultation with an attorney. Your potential loss could be much greater than you imagine.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 6/04/18, 1:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York