Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

To whom may I concern:

My boyfriend and I are planning on our wedding. Im a USA citizen and he is an Italian citizen. We decided to live in the USA and in order for him to get his green card there is a long process. I believe according to my research we have almost eveything to go thru this process except that one citation says:

"The form (I-864) fills out to prove the couple has enough money to support the immigrant spouse". Currently i don't have an stable income but we have the support of our families.

Can a relative be our guarantor? If so, how much does the minimum income of the relative should be?

Does the relative has to be a USA citizen?

During this immigration process can he still come visit me with his current tourist visa (ESTA visa)?

Asked on 7/15/13, 4:26 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Cho Law Offices of Michael Cho

The joint-sponsor can be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.

The minimum income requirement can be found here, and depends upon the size of the household:

You may find general information on the Affidavit of Support here:

His entry into the U.S. during this process will depend upon showing sufficient ties to his home country.

You may also contact me for a free consultation at:

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 4:41 am


A relative can be a joint-sponsor (guarantor) and should be a Permanent Resident or a US citizen. Please contact my office for any further free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 8:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York