Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

my family immigrated to the U.S. from Scotland 45 years ago. I do have a green card, but it still is from when I was a child. I am married to an American citizen and have been working and paying taxes in the u.s. my whole life. I want to become a u.s. citizen, I dont know how to get started.

Asked on 10/20/10, 7:06 am

5 Answers from Attorneys

Nicklaus Misiti Misiti Global, PLLC.

You should go over your case with an attorney, make sure you qualify and there will be no complications and apply. For a free consultation give me a call.


Nick Misiti

Misiti Global

716 830 7960

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 10/25/10, 7:12 am

Anthony Siliato Meyner and Landis LLP

We would be happy to assist you with this process. Our consultation fee would be applied against our fixed legal fee should you decide to utilize our firm for the naturalization filing.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/10, 7:14 am
Dianne Brooks The Mandel Law Firm

This process should not be difficult but given the length of time you should consult an attorney to make sure that there are no complications in your history that might disqualify you.

I am an immigration attorney located in New York and would be happy to discuss this with you confidentially. I offer a free 20 minute consultation.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/10, 8:47 am
Michael Cho Law Offices of Michael Cho

It sounds like you likely qualify for naturalization as a US citizen.

Feel free to contact me for a free consultation here:

You may find free information on the process here:

Read more
Answered on 10/25/10, 8:56 am
Rachel Baskin Rachel Baskin, Attorney at Law

You may already be a citizen if you have had your permanent residency for such a long time. If your parents ever became citizens, you may have become one automatically. In that case you'd be eligible to apply for a US passport and/or a Certificate of Citizenship. Alternatively, if your parents never became citizens, or if you did not automatically become one, then you may be eligible to file an application for naturalization. You should speak with an attorney before filing an application for naturalization, because if you automatically became a citizen, USCIS will not approve the case.

This is general information only; it is not intended as a substitute for legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Read more
Answered on 10/26/10, 6:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York