Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in New York

post-op pelvic fracture from bone graft site

I had cervical fusion surgery a month ago, two weeks after surgery my pelvis fractured at the bone graft site. I researched this post-op complication and found that it was due to either the graft being taken from the wrong location on the pelvis or that too large of a piece was taken from one location. When the pelvis fractured, I had to be taken to the ER by ambulance, and was admitted to the hospital for that and a staff infection of the of the neck, and fluid in the pelvis. I had to have another surgery to reopen both the neck and pelvis surgical cites. I am 50 and have been tested for osteoposis - results negative. Please advise I'm in pain and I'm angry.

Thank you.

Asked on 4/22/04, 8:27 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Re: post-op pelvic fracture from bone graft site

Under New York law, a person cannot start a medical malpractice law suit unless a physician certifies that there is a valid claim. Therefore, in order to proceed, you need to sit down with an attorney to discuss your case. The attorney will then have a doctor review your medical records and give an opinion. Did the same doctor perform both surgeries? If "no", your attorney might use the second doctor. If "yes", what was his explanation. My office handles these type of cases so feel free to call to discuss further. 212-622-7180.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/04, 7:42 am
Robert R. Groezinger GroezingerLaw P.C.

Re: post-op pelvic fracture from bone graft site

This matter is not as simple as it may seem. It requires an in-depth review and discussion of your medical records and medical history. To say any more than that at this point would be to do you a disservice.

Fell free to call me at 212-764-5428 with any follow up inquiries.

Good Luck

Read more
Answered on 4/22/04, 9:08 pm
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Re: post-op pelvic fracture from bone graft site

Sounds like you have done your homework. If your diagnosis is correct the issue is whether they amount to a deviation from good and accepted practice. You will need medical cooberation for that. There are many good medical malpractice attorneys in your area. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 4/22/04, 9:48 pm
Andrew Frisch Morgan & Morgan, P.A.

Re: post-op pelvic fracture from bone graft site

Based on the brief history you have provided it is unclear whether or not your pelvic fracture and its sequellae were the results of Medical Malpractice.

In order to determine whether you have been the victim of malpractice both a lawyer and a doctor must review your pertinent medical records.

My office has handled similar cases and we have a network of doctors which we work with in these types of matters.

If you would like to speak with me further regarding this matter please contact me for a free consultation at (877)NYC-LAW1 or (877)692-5291.

Read more
Answered on 4/22/04, 10:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in New York