Legal Question in Personal Injury in New York

I had an accident i would like to sue my landlord asap,but i get ssi. Can i still sue ? would that affect my ssi?

Asked on 2/17/10, 5:04 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Eric Rothstein Rothstein Law PLLC

You can sue but ssi imposes a low limit on how much money you can have in your bank account. However, there are things you can do - you can create a special needs trust from which you can pay certain expenses you incur or you can take the money free and clear but you will go off ssi until you spend all the money; then you can go back on ssi.

I handle negligence cases so please feel to contact me.

The above is for information purposes only and not meant as legal advise.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/10, 5:12 am
Alexander Tsiring The Tsiring Law Firm, P.C.

There certain ways in which you can receive compensation without affecting yur SSI. You should definately consult with a lawyer, to completely evaluate your possible case and determine how to protect your SSI.

If you need assistance, please contact our firm.


Read more
Answered on 2/22/10, 6:14 am
Michael E. Zuller Zuller Law Offices

More information needed here. Suing the landlord and trying to claim SSI are two different matters. Sit down with a lawyer so that all pertinent information can be exchanged. Best, M. E. Zuller

Read more
Answered on 2/22/10, 8:09 am
Pasquale Calcagno Calcagno & Associates, PLLC

I am very sorry for your terrible ordeal. SSI benefits can be affected as the law limits the amount of money you can have with respect to your benefits. However, there are steps that can be taken to minimized or even prevent your benefits from being affected. A trust may be applicable in aiding your situation but I would need more information. It would be advantageous to consult with an attorney who has experience with both personal injury law and trust law.

Kindly contact me, Pasquale Calcagno, Esq., for a free, confidential consultation at 1(800)WE-FIGHT. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about your personal injury case and the possible applicability of a trust in your situation.

We have convenient locations all over New York and can even have an attorney come to you upon request. You can also visit us on the web at for helpful information on your claim. I look forward to fighting hard for your rights.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/10, 4:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New York