Legal Question in Personal Injury in New York

I was involved in MVA 2 years ago. I hit a woman from behind. She is sueing my insurance company though they dont want to settle it yet. I am terrified she will come after me personally. What can I do? I have nothing so I dont know what I can give her. Help, Im a nervous wreck.

Asked on 1/26/10, 9:58 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Locksley Wade Law Office of Locksley O. Wade

Your insurance company will provide an attorney to protect your interest. You should direct your questions to him or her or your insurance company.

Read more
Answered on 1/31/10, 11:26 am
Jason Kessler Law Offices of Jason B. Kessler, P.C.

I totally agree with Mr. Wade. However, if you are worried about personal exposure and you have a good faith basis that the insurance company should pay the claim and is not, you can put pressure on the insurance company. But for that you would need the counsel of a coverage lawyer. These lawyers cost a lot of money but if your exposure is high and you have the money you may wish to consult one. Sorry, but I am not a coverage attorney.

Read more
Answered on 1/31/10, 4:46 pm
Michael E. Zuller Zuller Law Offices

You don't mention your liability coverage, or the severity of the plaintiff's injuries. Speak with your defense counsel to gain a fuller understanding of these variables. But if you are truly concerned about your carrier not agreeing to settle, you can retain private counsel to "oversee" the litigation. Expect to pay an hourly fee which could become significant. Best, M.E. Zuller

Read more
Answered on 1/31/10, 5:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New York