Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

We signed a Contract for Deed (NYS) with our daughter's former fiance. They could not afford a down payment, so we did not collect one. He has not recorded the contract, but he has not missed a payment. He has however left the house vacant since signing the contract. It has deteriorated due to his lack of care. Now he is making repairs, and wants us to give him back our key to the house. We feel we are legally entitled to have the key as we are still the owners. Can we keep our key? If so and he changes the locks, can we demand a key to the house?

Asked on 4/11/17, 10:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Seems to me having a key to the house is the least of your worries. My advice is to find a lawyer and get yourselves out of this disaster before it's too late.

Read more
Answered on 4/11/17, 11:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York