Legal Question in Tax Law in New York

I am helping my mom do her taxes, and the tax preparer noticed that the 1099-R for her pension incorrectly identified her state of residence as CA instead of NY. We contacted the payer, but they said that they do not issue late 1099's. If we needed a correction, we should have contacted them back in January when we first received the document. Is a payer obligated to send a corrected 1099?

We reported all of the income on her NY state income tax forms, but now CA has an incorrectly issued 1099 with my mom's name on it. Do we need to do anything, or just prove her NY residency in the event of a CA audit?

Asked on 4/24/17, 12:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

It's an interesting question but not worth the bother of researching until it becomes an issue, which I very much doubt it ever will.

Read more
Answered on 4/24/17, 1:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in New York