Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

Type Your Question Here... parent died with a house as the only asset and no will . how would the heirs get their share

Asked on 1/05/17, 5:23 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

The estate must go to Intestate Administration so that someone is appointed Administrator with authority to sign a deed. Call if you have any questions.

Read more
Answered on 1/05/17, 5:27 am
John O'Donnell Attorney at Law

In New York, the property would be distributed to the decedent's heirs at law. If the only heirs are the decedent's children, the children would receive an equal share of the property. One of the children must first become "administrator" of the estate by filing the necessary papers with the Surrogate's Court. Typically, this process is very difficult without the assistance of an attorney. Please feel free to contact me for a free consultation (Tel: 646-580-1350).

Read more
Answered on 1/05/17, 7:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York