Legal Question in Business Law in North Carolina

I want to open a company. I live in NC and also do consulting work in Florida. What type of company should I open and were?

Asked on 2/05/18, 8:38 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Frank Natoli Natoli-Legal, LLC

Usually, you will form (or domicile) the entity where you are actually working from. In some cases, you may form in one state like say NC then qualify the entity as a foreign entity doing business in say FL.

The rule of thumb is that you should not be required to register the entity in another state unless you are creating a systematic and consistent presence there (e.g., office space, warehousing, sales force, showroom, etc.).

As to what kind of entity you should be forming, this requires some proper legal attention.

Before you jump in, I suggest that you consult with a lawyer in private and discuss your objectives in more detail. You can start by calling around to several for a free phone consultation, get some insights then pick the best fit to work with.

If you would like to discuss further over a free phone consult, feel free to contact me anytime that is convenient.

Our firm is now referred by the American Bar Association (see under the New York section):

Kind regards,



[email protected]

DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

Read more
Answered on 2/05/18, 9:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in North Carolina