Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in North Carolina

Last night me and my husband had to jump up and leave an infested motel in williamsburg after discovers laying in an enormous amount of bed bugs. We were so tramatized and had to travel almost two hours to get home. Do we have a case??

Asked on 7/30/10, 9:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

For what? Were you injured by the bed bugs and did you need medical treatment? Why could you not leave and find another motel room? Did you try talking to the management to see if you could get another room that was not infested?

I can understand your frustration and upset and disgust, but this is not going to be a million dollar case. And any case will have to be in Williamsburg, not North Carolina. You might want to talk to a lawyer in Virginia (I assume that this was in Williamsburg Virginia given the time it took you to get back home).

You might want to try writing a letter to the motel owner or manager and ask (nicely) for a refund because of the bug infestation. If they say no, try talking with an attorney in Virginia and see if they give free consults. If you have to pay for a 30 minute consult then do so. You just want their opinion of your case. If you have a case, then you can sue in Virginia, where the motel is located. If you fall within the limits of small claims there (ask the Virginia lawyer to tell you the limits) then you can sue in small claims for only thosee damages which the lawyer tells you can legitimately recover. This is not a personal injury case and you cannot generally recover for your aggravation, emotional distress and mental trauma unless you were injured.

Read more
Answered on 8/04/10, 10:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in North Carolina