Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

At what age can police remove and place an out of control teen in NC? We have been to juvenile justice and they said it was a mental health issue. He has been admitted to a psych ward and doctors say it is not a mental health issue and release him. When we called police before the age of 13 they said they had to wait until he was 13. Now that he is 13 they are still saying there is nothing that they can do. What can we do? Also, how can a court appointed legal guardian relinquish their rights?

Asked on 2/06/21, 5:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

There is no age where that would happen because that is not what police do - and it appears you have been clearly told that.. DSS on the other hand, can pretty much do that anytime they want up until the child is 18. If the child is with a guardian who is calling police on him and having the juvenile system commit him to mental facilities and the doctors are saying that he doesn't have mental issues then that is likely a pretty clear indicator that the problem likely lies more with the guardian and not the child and that the guardian likely should relinquish rights ASAP so the child can be placed somewhere that the people charged with his care don't inappropriately call police on him or try to have him unnecessarily committed. If so - likely the best thing to do is call DSS and inquire about the chd being placed in foster care.

Read more
Answered on 2/06/21, 8:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina