Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

What is governing law for divorce of an international marriage occur in Egypt between American wife and Egyptian husband?

Asked on 2/15/14, 5:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

The governing law will be the law of any place that has jurisdiction. In North Carolina, where you got married is irrelevant. If either the husband or the wife has resided in NC for at least six months prior to filing for divorce AND there has been one year of separation (not living together) then NC will have jurisdiction to grant a divorce. Note: tyou can have jurisdiction in more than place at any given point in time, so when you use the word 'governing', if you mean will one areas law take precedence over another the answer is no - generally the 'first to file' will win out. For example if you meet the eligibility requirements for divorce in NC, you will be granted a divorce in NC and there generally isn't squat all another state or eveny country's laws can do about it. Of course, the big issue in international cases isn't what law governs - its obtaining proper service of process - good luck with that!

Read more
Answered on 2/16/14, 7:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina