Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

if my marriage breaks up in the state of NC can I sue for alienation of affection. I have been married for 30 years

Asked on 10/10/17, 6:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

In the land of 'oops hot coffe got spilled on my lap', the real questions is rarely ever 'can you sue' - the real question most often is what are your odds of winning. You would need to be able to prove that someone with knowledge you were married, purposely broke up your happy marriage. That is a tough nut to crack. Especially the happy marriage part. If you and your spouse were having problems prior to the affair, your case is on shaky ground. You also need to consider the assets of the other person - there is no point in suing someone who has little to no assets. Your best bet is to consult with a local family law attorney who can go over your specific situation in detail and provide options. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 10/10/17, 7:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina