Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

My niece had a baby while unmarried. The father was/is broke. Later, she married a man who assumed the role of father. They were married for 9 years and the baby is now 9 years old. They had another baby together while married. The husband decided to abandone her and the 2 kids for another woman. Does the husband pay child support for the child that is not his biological child?

Asked on 12/21/13, 2:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

This is an ambiguous question! Do you mean 'can' he pay child support? If so, the answer is sure and if he is a gentleman he probably should because he was such a big part of the child's life for a substantial period of time. Do you mean is he 'required' to pay child support? If so, the answer is no - unless he adopted the child. So if he wants to be a total and complete jerk, he can basically walk out of the kids life, never look back and pay a dime.

Read more
Answered on 12/22/13, 6:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina