Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

If I am planning on up and moving with my three year son away from his father can the father of my son charge me with kidnapping? I went through mild abuse and never filed charges against the father which I have lived with now for almost five years . The physical abuse has stopped but the name calling and yelling still go on. I want to move and really am not financially fit right now to fight him in a court but I do not think it would go that far. He has never been violent with our son but has a long line of violence in New Hampshire. I just want to know can i leave and take my son with me without charges being filed?

Asked on 6/25/13, 5:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

You won't be committing any crimes but if you plan on keeping the child away from the father you could be giving him just the ammunition he needs to get custody of the child away from you.

Read more
Answered on 6/26/13, 12:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina