Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

My son-in-law severed parental rights to his son who is over 18 a year ago. The boy tried to rape my grandaughter. He was expelled from school. Started a GED program and word has it that he has been expelled from that. How does my son-in-law get documentation that the boy is not in the program any longer? My son-in-law wants to stop paying support. The boy is working.

Asked on 10/29/13, 1:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

This question makes no sense at all. Why does your son-in-law need documentation? Who's he gonna show it to? If parental rights were terminated, your son-in-law didn't do it because you can't simply unilaterally terminate your parental rights (otherwise 9/10's of the people out there paying child support would just terminate their rights to avoid paying child support). Further, if parental rights were terminated your son-in-law would not be obligated to pay support - so why's he still paying? I think it's safe to assume parental rights were never legally terminated! Further still, unless your son-in-law stupidly agreed to extend his obligation to pay support in some sort of written agreement, child support ends at 18 - so again, why's he still paying? A GED program after being expelled from regular secondary school should not extend the child support obligation especially if he is out on his own.

Read more
Answered on 10/29/13, 9:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina