Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Transfer of Child Custody

I have custody of my nieces and would like to transfer custody back to their mom the legal way. I live in NC with the girls and their mom is currently in GA where the motion was filed. Do I file for transfer of custody in GA or can I file in a NC court and what exactly am I filing, is there a template somewhere?

Asked on 12/02/21, 9:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

If you are saying you want to do this yourself, what you are thinking about doing is the functional equivalent of attempting to rebuild your car's transmission if you aren't a mechanic. Something you would likely never even think about much less attempt because it is so obviously crazy.. I'm not sure what it is about legal work that makes some people think it is somehow less crazy to attempt it yourself but you'd likely have better odds of getting the rebuild right. Custody is not a forms or do it yourself proposition - you need an attorney if you want it done correctly the legal way. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/02/21, 9:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina