Legal Question in Civil Litigation in North Carolina

Our 22 yr. old daughter has decided that she is grown and in no uncertain terms wants us in her business. She feels she can do whatever she is big enough to do and say... in our home. We live in an apartment and she has lived here with us for 3 yrs., but now we would like for her to leave. Her name is not on the lease and we want to evict her from our apartment. She has bedroom furniture,clothes, and mail here. I have already given her a 30 day verbal notice. I was also thinking about putting her stuff in storage and when she comes to get it she would have to pay for all storage fees. Do I have to put her notice in writing? How long do I have to legally hold her belongings for her? Am I obligated to put them in storage?

Asked on 9/21/12, 3:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Under the circumstances you describe, you don't need to evict her - put her out and change your locks. As to her things, you do have an obligation to keep them reasonablly safe - this is known as a bailment. Putting them into a storage facility and not letting her have them until she pays the storage fee is acceptable. None of this needs to be done in writing. At 23, this move would probally be good for her.

Read more
Answered on 9/22/12, 10:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in North Carolina