Legal Question in Health Care Law in North Carolina

I am trying to get help for my daughter she has had mental issues for 4 months but keep stating she didn't need help. ( Partly because she was on drugs) She has now been clean for 2 months but is very close to being suicidal and wants help so I called to make appointment but provider will not reschedule appointment due to missed appointments. I ask why I was not sent letter telling me should could not be rescheduled and told them I am willing to pay any fee due from missed appointments but told they will not reschedule. Mental health providers in the area are hard to locate and I need to get her help NOW

Asked on 7/10/13, 10:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law

Unfortunately, you need to get her to another facility. You may have to seek help from an attorney to have her declared incompetent and become her guardian....but this is a drastic step..consult an attorney before you do this.

The problem with the missed appointments is that most facilities contract with psychiatrists and other medical professionals. They schedule an appointment for new patients and they have to pay the professional a fee to show up for the appointment. When the patient doesn't show they still have to pay the fee, so to get your daughter into the facility in which she keeps missing the appointment, you would likely have to pay the costs of the professional which might be quite costly.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/13, 7:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Health Care Law questions and answers in North Carolina