Legal Question in Insurance Law in North Carolina

HELP!!!!!Underinsured interest and personal exposure because of auto limits

I recieved a letter today from my insurance carrier, stating I might want to employ an attorney at my own expense to advise me in regards to a possible uninsured excess due to the limits of my policy. Is the insurance company suppose to provide me with an attorney or do i have to get one at my expense? I am no longer with this insurance carrier,,i switched after the accident to a less expensive one.... why are they telling me to get an attorney? is it becuzz Im no longer with them?

Asked on 6/17/09, 2:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby

Re: HELP!!!!!Underinsured interest and personal exposure because of auto limits

That letter is fairly typical. They normally send that to you only after a lawsuit has been filed, in which case they will hire a lawyer for you, and he or she should advise you as to your risk. You can also contact the person who wrote the letter to ask for more details (e.g. has a lawsuit been filed, and where do the settlement discussions stand, and how large is the claim (e.g. medical expenses)). You also can hire your own attorney if you want to, especially if you have assets that are subject to collection. And of course you may want to consult an attorney in your area to discuss all of these issues, as your rights are at stake (if you have been sued).

Read more
Answered on 6/17/09, 8:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in North Carolina