Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

Hi, I am a minor charged with "wantonly injure to personal property" The ones accusing me are my parents, although the magistrate paper I was given says "THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA VS." I was signed out of jail by my parents under the "pretrial" release program. I deny these charges, and my parents say that they (the state) will probably drop the charges there. But I am still unsure of what to expect, and is is possible for me to get a non-court appointed lawyer without my parents paying for it? (as they are unwilling). I also think they may try to get me kicked out before I turn 18 and use my history of being sent to "behavorial Health/mental hospital" places before (they have mentioned this). (I'm 17). The Court date is the 17th.

Asked on 1/15/17, 6:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Your parents apparently made the complaint (brought the charges) the state of North Carolina is prosecuting you. Your parents can make make a request that the charges be dropped.but it is not up to them - that is up to the ADA assigned to the case. You can hire your own attorney if you can afford it otherwise you are likely still considered a juvenile and will be appointed one (or perhaps a public defender depending on what county you are in) and its also likely a guardian ad litem attorney will be sticking their fingers in the pie. Basically, it seems you and your parents have decided to waste a lot of tax payers money and Court time over whether or not you damaged something. As to you getting kicked out before you turn 18 - that;s unlikely but on your 18th birthday your parents can simply pick up the phone and have the police escort you off of their property. If you aren't prepared for that, perhaps you should start discussing things with your parents.

Read more
Answered on 1/15/17, 10:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina