Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

My daughter is three years old. Her father is not listed on her birth certificate and has never filed a paternity test. He has not seen her in almost two years. He does not pay any support. What would be his rights since he has now been gone so long should he choose to file a suit for custody?

Asked on 7/07/13, 12:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

In Ohio, a father who is not married to the mother of his purported child has no rights until he establishes them with the court by proving that he is the biological father. Thus you don't have to let him see the child unless the Court orders you to do so. If he does file an action with the Juvenile Court in your county in order to establish paternity, then you will naturally want to seek an order of support payments for the child from him.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 12:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio