Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

I have been married for 32 years and own property and a home. The deed is in both of our names. Recently my husband threatened to pack my stuff and move it out while I'm at work. He is on disability so is home during the day to do this. What options do I have if this happens? Do I just have to stay out? We also have a 16 year old daughter. He has said he would let her choose if she wants to go or not.

Asked on 2/13/14, 7:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lisa Meier Law Office of Anthony W. Greco

If the deed is in both of your names, you have equal rights to the marital home. If he packs your belongings up, I would call the police department, show them your deed, and have them advise your husband that you have equal rights to the marital home. If he physically threatens you or assaults you, you can file for a Civil Protection Order and have him excluded from the marital home.

If you need to hire an attorney, please feel free to call my office anytime at: 614-792-7800.

This answer is based upon Ohio law and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/14, 5:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio