Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Ohio

Paying someone else's judgment

My daughter and her husband have been served with a judgment from a previous landlord about paying for damages. The landlord has brought a civil suit against them. I do not know where my daughter is but the papers keep coming to my address. I am willing to pay for this for my grandchildren's sake and to keep my daughter out of more trouble. What are the legal ramifications of my paying for this and can I do it without incurring any legal problems of my own? My daughter is 26 and hasn't lived at home for over 6 years. Thank you.

Asked on 5/31/05, 10:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Chris Roderick Linton Belfance LLP

Re: Paying someone else's judgment

You can contact the landlord or his attorney if he has one to pay the bill. The case needs then to be dismissed with prejudice. This may be a gift to your daughter so you might want to contact your accountant to see if there are any tax issues. You should also advise landlord or the attorney that your daughter does not reside with you and that you are not authorized to accept service of any legal papers.

Read more
Answered on 5/31/05, 11:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Ohio