Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Ohio

My landlord is breaking the law, I believe. Our water tank has been leaking for over 2 years and my boyfriend and I have called off work multiple times on days he said he'd come put a new one in. He ignores our calls and never shows up. We lived in our house for a month and a half with our lights only working in a couple rooms before he came to fix it. Our house was broken into a few months ago. Our entire back door and frame are broken. We had to board it up because the landlord has yet to come fix it. Finally, we pay our landlord additional money, monthly, on top of our rent to pay the water bill and we received a water shut off notice on our door. He hasn't shown us a water bill since the first one, even with our requests for copies. Apparently the water bill is behind over $1000. The landlord asked us for money to pay it. But where is all this money ive been giving him going then? What should I do?

Asked on 5/24/16, 5:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jann Washington Jann C. Washington, Esq., LLC

You should escrow your rent with your local municipal court. This puts pressure on the landlord to fix the things that need fixed and pay the water bill. The Court will not release the rent to him unless he fixes the problems to the Court's satisfaction, and you don't find yourself in jeopardy of being evicted.

Read more
Answered on 5/25/16, 3:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Ohio