Legal Question in Family Law in Oklahoma

Can I Adopt My Abandonded Stepson?

My husband was married in 1996 to a woman and they had a child the same year. When the baby was 8 months old, the mother left and has never returned, has only called a few times (but not within the last 2 years), and doesn't keep in any kind of contact. We met 3.5 years ago and are married. We haven't had any more children, but I have been raising my husband's son as if I were his natural mother. He knows nothing of her at this time. He is too young. What is my legal right to adopt the child? Does she have to sign papers giving me the right? What if we can never find her? Thanks for your help.

Asked on 11/20/01, 4:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lisa Bohannan The Bohannan Law Office, P.C.

Re: Can I Adopt My Abandonded Stepson?

The answer is yes, you can adopt him, but there are several legal formalities that have to be followed and acheived before you can adopt. If she will voluntarily relinqush her parental rights, of course there should be no problem. If you cannot locate her you can request permission to serve her by publication and complete the requisites for that. You will need representation in a matter such as this. Give me a call if you are interested in retaining this firm. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 11/21/01, 2:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Oklahoma