Legal Question in Family Law in Oklahoma


My half sister who is 48 wants my parents to adopt her she has been known to take power of attorney of other relatives. She says she just wants Indian medical benefits. I was wondering can she legally get medical if she is not a direct desendant of my dad(not her ligit father) and also I was wondering if she is adopted and becomes a equal child what kinda powers can she obtain in my fathers estate.

Asked on 9/22/01, 5:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lisa Bohannan The Bohannan Law Office, P.C.

Re: Adoption

Your question is a little confusing. If she is your half sister which one of your parents is her natural parent? And once this question is answered, which parent has indian descent? Normally, you have to have a degree of indian blood which entitles you to a CDIB card which in turn entitles you to receive medical benefits through the Cherokee Nation or whatever tribe we are talking about. With regard to the second part of your question, adopted children have the same right to inherit as natural children do. And with regard to your power of attorney concern, your parents have to consent to the power of attorney and be legally capable of consenting to the grant of power of attorney. If they are incapacitated, a court order will be necessary to grant any guardianship powers. I do not feel as though I have made a very throrough response due to the incompleteness of your question. If you would like to provide additional information, I would be happy to respond accordingly.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/01, 11:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Oklahoma